VEGAN OAT BREAD
I was asked by a friend to make a vegan version of my oat bread and here it is. I made a few attempts, and finally have made one I am very happy with. It is moist and as good as the original recipe.
You need to make the egg replacement in advance – 2 tablespoons of chia seeds mixed with 4 tablespoons of water. Leave to absorb for at least 20 minutes. After the chia seeds have been soaking, I added more water to make the consistency like a beaten egg. Just add a little at a time, you don’t want it too runny!!
- I tub non dairy yoghurt (I used Nush Almond Milk Yoghurt)
- 4 tablespoons almond milk
- ½ very ripe banana well mashed (it does not make the bread taste like banana)
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 360g porridge oats
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup mixed seeds and nuts (I used pumpkin, sesame, sunflower seeds and walnuts)
Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a standard loaf tin with coconut oil and line the bottom with parchment paper
In a mixing bowl combine the yoghurt, chia seed mixture, mashed banana, almond milk and bicarbonate of soda.
Stir in the oats, salt and mixed nuts and seeds.
Mix together well and put in the loaf tin.
Sprinkle the top with some extra seeds.
Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove from tin and return to oven upside down for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and leave to cool.