VEGAN MEXICAN SALAD
Made this vegan Mexican Salad for lunch on Sunday. Fresh and delicious for a sunny al fresco lunch. It is also very easy to make and uses ingredients that most of us will have in the pantry and fridge.
The quinoa and kidney beans provide a good source of protein, the avocado and olive oil provide “good for you” fats and the vegetable component of the salad provides a rainbow of color and therefore a variety of phytonutrients.
- 1/4 red cabbage – finely grated in the food processor
- 5 small carrots – coursely grated in the food processor
- 1 bunch spring onions – finely sliced
- 1 tin sweetcorn – drained
- 1 tin kidney beans – rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 jar pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- big bunch of fresh corriander, chopped
- big bunch of fresh mint – chopped
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 3 cloves of garlic
- glug of extra virgin olive oil
Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
In a nutribullet whiz all the dressing ingredients until it is smooth and well combined.
If you don’t have a nutribullet, just crush the garlic, add to a screw top jar with the lemon juice and olive oil and give a good shake (after putting the lid on of course!!)
Pour dressing over the salad and mix well.
Serve each portion with 1/4 of an avocado on top.