ROASTED VEGETABLE CURRY
Made this very tasty Roasted Vegetable Curry and it got the thumbs up from all the family. It has Chickpeas in it which are a good source of protein. It is Dairy Free, Gluten Free and Vegan, so ticks lots of boxes !!!
I served this with Brown Rice and Fresh Coriander.
I based this on a recipe I tore out of the Business Post on the 24th May, as it used Rainbow Chard and I have lots growing in the garden. Unfortunately I am not sure who the original author is as the page I kept does not have their name (sorry), but I modified it for our taste, so here is my version of it.
- 1 large Sweet Potato – peeled and cut into chunks about 2 inches big
- 2 large Carrots – peeled and cut into large chunks
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Yellow Peppers – cut into chunks
- 2 Red Peppers – cut into chunks
- 2 Onions – diced
- 2 Celery Sticks – finely sliced
- 6 cloves of Garlic – crushed
- 3 inch piece of Ginger – peeled and finely grated
- 2 Red Chillies – finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Chilli
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tumeric
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 3 large Tomatoes – chopped into chunks
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 can Chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 400 mls Vegetable Stock
- large bunch Rainbow Chard – roughly sliced (you could use normal Swiss Chard or Spinach)
- Zest and juice of 2 Limes
- Fresh Coriander
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Place the Sweet Potato and Carrots into a bowl and drizzle over some Olive Oil. Toss around till they are coated and put on a large baking tray and put into the hot oven for 20 minutes.
Toss the Cauliflower Florets and the Yellow and Red Peppers in some more oil and add to the partly cooked Sweet Potato and Carrots in the oven. Cook for another 20 minutes.
Meanwhile: Heat a large heavy bottomed pan over the heat and add 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add the Onions and Celery and saute until they begin to soften.
Add the Garlic and Ginger, cook for another few minutes.
Add the spices, – Ground Coriander, Ground Cumin, Tumeric, Cinnamon, Chilli Powder – the 2 sliced Chillies and the Dried Chilli Flakes. Add the Tomato Paste and stir well until combined.
Add in the chopped Tomatoes, Coconut Milk, Chickpeas, Vegetable Stock and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Add the Roasted Vegetables to the sauce and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
Take out the Cinnamon Stick and add in the sliced Swiss Chard, cook until it is wilted.
Take the curry off the heat and add the Lime Juice and Zest and stir to combine.
I served mine with Brown Rice and sprinkled the fresh Coriander over the top.