This recipe for Vegan Tacos is really tasty. I have never cooked with Jackfruit before so was interested to see what it would be like. I actually really liked it, it gives a meaty texture to the dish.
I used the recipe from “The Wicked Healthy Cookbook” for the preparation of the Jackfruit, but then changed the accompaniments to what we like to eat.
There are a few stages to cooking the Jackfruit, but I think it was worth the effort. You need to marinate the Jackfruit, so you need to prepare this step in advance.
For the Jackfruit and Spice Rub:
- 2 tins of Jackfruit in water – drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves of Garlic – crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 granulated Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Chipotle Chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- Sea Salt to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion – diced
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely sliced Fresh Oregano
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Chipotle Chile in Adobo Sauce – finely chopped
- Soft Corn Tortillas
- Guacomale – recipe on website
- Quick and Easy Salsa – recipe on website
- Finely sliced Cabbage – for the crunch factor
- Pickled Red Onion – recipe on website
- Coriander Leaves
- Limes cut into wedges
Cut the inner cores from the drained Jackfruit and cut these cores into strips. Take any large seeds out. The other parts of the Jackfruit will shred.
Mix together the Garlic, Paprika, Granulated Onion, Black Pepper, Chipotle Chilli, Coriander, Cinnamon and Salt. Sprinkle the Spice Rub over the Jackfruit and mix together, roughly shredding the Jackfruit. Whilst you are doing this, more large seeds might appear, so take them out.
Let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, or up to overnight.
Heat a shallow pot over medium high heat. Add the Oil then the Onion and saute until the Onion is golden.
Add the Jackfruit and stir until it begins to stick to the pan, approximately 3 minutes.
Add the stock, stirring to deglaze the pan.
Stir in the Orange Juice, Lime Juice, Maple Syrup, Oregano, Bay Leaves and Chipotle.
Bring to a simmer, breaking up the Jackfruit with a potato masher or fork. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until most of the liquid has reduced to a sauce that coats the Jackfruit – approximately 25 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and to continue to break the Jackfruit up into shreds.
Serve the Jackfruit mix on the warmed Tortillas and add your accompaniments as your tastebuds dictate!!!!