FISH CHOWDER – DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE
My challenge was to make a Fish Chowder which was delicous but Dairy and Gluten Free, still keeping that rich creamy consistency.
I am delighted with this Chowder, it is delicious and creamy but also at the same time light.
This reheats perfectly as long as you do it gently. It is perfect for a flask for school or office lunches.
- 2 large Onions – peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves of Garlic – peeled and crushed
- 3 Organic Leeks – finely sliced
- 4 medium Potatoes – peeled and cut into medium sized chunks
- 2 small tins of Organic Sweet Corn – one can blitzed into a puree and other kernals left whole
- 1 large piece of Cod – skin removed and cut into resonable sized chunks
- Water and 2 teaspoons of good quality Vegetable Stock Powder (or enough Vegetable stock to cover the vegetables in the pot)
- Knob of Coconut Oil
- 1 small tin of Coconut Cream
- Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Chopped Parsley for serving
Don’t cut the Potatoes and Cod too small or it will disappear into mush in the Chowder!
Place the Coconut Oil into a large saucepan and melt. Add the Onions and saute for a few minutes with the lid on, stiring every now and again. (do not let them get brown).
Add the Garlic and the Leeks and saute for another few minutes, as above.
Add the diced Potatoes and again saute for approximately 4 minutes as above.
Top these sauted vegetables with Water and Stock Powder (or Stock) until just covered and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a very gentle simmer and cook until the potaotes are cooked though.
Add the pureed Sweetcorn and stir through. This thickens the soup nicely.
Add the whole Sweetcorn kernals and stir through.
Add the diced Cod and stir through.
Add the can of Coconut Cream and stir through.
Once you have added the Coconut Cream do not let the Chowder come to the boil or it may split. Just simmer very gently until the Cod is just cooked through (it will not take very long). Add Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste.
The Chowder is now ready to serve.
Top with some chopped fresh Parsley!!!