A PERFECTLY TASTY LUNCH TIME SALAD
This is a perfect salad for lunch as it keeps well and is easy to put in a lunch box to take to work or school. The flavour will be even better the next day as the dressing soaks into the rice and beans. It is a balanced lunch just eaten as it is, but if you wanted to you could add some oily fish on top of it for an extra portion of protein and good fat.
Brown Rice is rich in Manganese, Selenium and Magnesium. Pomegranate is a good source of Vitamins A and C and Potassium, Calcium and Iron. The Silver Beet is an excellent source of Vitamins K, A, C, E, B2 and B6 with Magnesium, Copper, Manganese, Potassium and Iron being just some of the Minerals it is also very high in. Black Beans are a great source of Folate, Vitamin B1, Magnesium and Iron. Both types of Beans are a great source of Protein and the Beans and Brown Rice are all great sources of fibre. Broccoli is rich in Vitamins K, C, B2 and B6, Folate, E and A whilst also being a great source of Chromium, Manganese, Phosphorus and Potassium. Plus the extra virgin Olive Oil in the dressing is high in Vitamin E and Polyphenols (antioxidant compounds).
So in one simple to prepare salad you are getting a whole range of Vitamins and Minerals, plus Protein, Fibre and good Fats.
- 1 cup cooked Brown Rice – cold
- 1 carton/can of Organic Black Beans – drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1 carton/can of Organic Cannellini Beans – drained and rinsed in cold water
- Large bunch of Swiss Chard (Silverbeet if you are Australian!), sliced
- 1 bunch of Tenderstem Broccoli – chopped into pieces approx 2 inches long
- 1 Pomegranate seeded
- 1 small Red Onion, halved and very finely sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Zest and juice of 1 Lemon
- 4 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of Ground Corriander
- 1 teaspoon of Dried Crushed Chillies
- Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Firstly, make the dressing by putting everything into a screw top jar (I use an old jam jar) and shake. Leave to infuse whilst you prepare the rest of the salad.
Heat a fry pan and add the tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add the sliced Swiss Chard and Broccoli, and stir fry until they are cooked. The Swiss Chard will be wilted and the Broccoli will be still firm to the bite and a bright green color. Let this cool while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
In a large bowl, combine the Black Beans, Cannellini Beans, Brown Rice, Sliced Red Onion and Pomegranate Seeds. Add in the cooked Swiss Chard and Broccoli. Mix together and then add the dressing over the top, combining it all well.
Serve as is, or top it with some extra protein, I used some White Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and placed some Kimchi on the side.
This Dressing is delicious – very lemony in flavour – so you could use it with lots of other salads, and it would be very good with any fish.